What Visa Do I Need to Study In The USA?

Monday, 15 August 2016
What Visa Do I Need to Study In The USA?

Study in the USA on an F-1 visa

If you wish to study in the USA, you will most likely require an F-1 visa. This visa allows you to study at an academic institution in the US, such as a university or secondary school, or to take an English-language course. This is different to a J-1 visa, which is for participants of work- or study-based exchange programmes. The F-1 visa is also distinct from the M-1 visa, which is for international students taking a vocational or non-academic course.

How to apply for an F-1 visa

You can apply for an F-1 visa through the US Embassy or Consulate based in your country of residence. These are normally found in major cities, and there may be more than one in each country. You should visit your embassy or consulate website for information on how to apply for a visa.

There are 5 steps that need to be completed in order to apply for a US visa:

1. Select your visa type - as a student wishing to study at an academic institution in the US, you will need to select ‘F1-visa’ (this will be classed on the embassy website as a ‘non-immigrant’ visa).

2. Check your eligibility. You must:

  • be normally resident in a country other than the US,
  • have received support for your application from the institution at which you wish to study. Your institution will determine your eligibility to study with them. Once they are satisfied that you meet the academic requirements and that you can support your studies financially, they will issue you with a 1-20 form - required when applying for the F-1 visa
  • be able to support yourself financially for the duration of your stay in the US
  • be able to prove close ties with your country of origin (such as having family there)
  • intend to return there once your studies have ended.

3. Complete an online DS-160 form. Once you have completed the form you must print the confirmation page with a barcode.

4. Visit where you should create an account, pay the visa fee, schedule an appointment at your nearest embassy or consulate and arrange for the return of your passport.

5. Attend your scheduled interview at your local embassy or consulate, bringing any necessary documentation with you. Details on documents required by UK residents intending to study in the US can be found here: . During the interview you will be asked questions, such as why you have chosen to study in the US and why you have chosen your particular institution to study at.

To determine the likely processing time of your visa, you can enter the city in which you made your application here:

rules you must follow

Once you have been granted an F-1 visa, you may arrive in the US no more than 30 days before the start of visa. Once you have arrived, you should inform your international advisor at your institution. During your course of study, you should remain enrolled on a full-time basis and try to acquire pass grades. If you are struggling with the completion of your course, speak to your advisor and ask them to help you apply for a visa extension, if necessary. Once your course of study is completed you may spend no more than a further 60 days in the US.

If you moving to the USA to study, why not send your luggage with Send My Bag. This means you can quickly and easily set up home in the US. Find out more about student shipping and claim your 10% student discount on our student removals page.

Are you thinking of studying abroad in the UK instead? Check out our next blog to find out what visa you need to study in the UK.

Previous Post

Day Trips from Paris

Day trips from Paris are a great idea if you want to discover more of France and experience an alternative way of life to that of the big city. Why not take in one of the smaller towns or villages on the outskirts of the city, go for a hike in the surrounding hills, or visit an out-of-town activity centre? This will allow you to create a visit that is different to everyone else’s experience of the city. You can take a break from hectic city life and experience a slower-paced version of the country you are visiting.

In a new series, Send My Bag takes a look at some of the best day trips from a number of Europe’s capital cities. This week, we explore the top five day trips from Paris.

11 Aug 2016


Excellent: 4.7 / 5
Based on 86877 independent reviews.
Live Chat

Select your country

Choose your preferred currency


Verifying your payment

What is 3D Secure?

We use 3D secure to provide an additional security layer for processing credit and debit card purchases.

If you have been stuck on this page for more than 15 seconds then we may be experiencing issues contacting your bank to verify your payment. To resolve this please try the following:

You can attempt your payment again by going to your My Account page.