Baggage Shipping to Colombia
Returning to Colombia after studying in the US? Or about to begin a backpack tour around South America? Send My Bag offers the perfect opportunity to ship your personal effects to Colombia whilst avoiding the excess baggage fees charged by airlines.
Important Colombia Customs Information
Holiday baggage and other time sensitive packages should not be sent on this route.
The volume of shipments sent to this destination across the last 12 weeks has not been sufficient to meet our minimum number of on time shipments required for holiday baggage approval.
For unaccompanied luggage, a photocopy of the sender's passport will be required showing photo page and entry stamp into Colombia.
Personal Effects and household items may be subject to duties and taxes. Household goods must arrive within 30 days before or up to 120 days after the arrival of the client. Storage fees may also be applied whilst the shipment is held by our courier partner until customs clearance is completed.
The owner of the goods must be named as the receiver on the order.
On this route you are required to visit the destination country’s official customs website and make yourself aware of any requirements, processes or fees, which may be due based on your personal circumstances and what you are shipping.
Upon arrival in the destination you agree to comply with any customs processes, provide the customs authority with any information they request and to discuss the clearance of the shipment directly with the customs authority or our delivery partner in the destination.
General Customs Information
Personal effects are usually assessed as used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is checked by customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts please check with the destination country so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
In order to demonstrate your shipment is personal effects you will be required to complete a brief non generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "5 x Cotton T-Shirts, 2 x Jeans, 3 x Cotton Shirt" and so on rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
Customs processes and allowances do vary by country and as such we advise all travellers take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of the destination.
More information is available on our customs information page.
What can I send to Colombia? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a vacation suitcase. For security and customs reasons, however, certain items are prohibited. Please find these listed below.
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type (including nail varnish, perfume, aftershave & liquid deodorant);
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than ONE device containing a lithium battery in line with our battery policy OR when shipping to / from Australia or China, NO device containing any type of battery;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations and toys of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Tobacco and all vaping products (whether nicotine based or not);
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
In addition to the above when sending to Colombia we prohibit the sending of:
- Military Equipment.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.