Baggage Shipping to Guernsey
Guernsey forms part of the Channel Islands, which lie off the north coast of France. Guernsey is officially termed the Bailiwick of Guernsey, which consists of the island of Guernsey, plus the islands of Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou and Lihou. Guernsey is a possession of the British Crown and uses the pound sterling as its currency. It uses English as its official language, plus French for administrative purposes. There is also the language called Guernésiais, or Guernsey French, but only 2% of the population speaks this language fluently. Guernsey has a population of around 65, 573 people and occupies an area of 30.1 square miles. Its capital is Saint Peter Port. The climate is mild, with an average summer temperature of 68°F and an average winter temperature of 42°F.
There is a lot to do and see on Guernsey and its neighbouring islands. The island is great for those who love the outdoors. They can enjoy kayaking around the coves on the south coast, coasteering down cliffs, or golfing. There are also many indoor sports to participate in, including ten-pin bowling, swimming, squash and badminton. You can also visit the island’s museums, such as the German Occupation Museum or the Victor Hugo house. Or, you can simply enjoy the scenery at one of Guernsey’s beaches or from the Pleinmont Observation Tower.
You can reach Guernsey by plane, from a number of destinations in the UK and France. Or, you can take a ferry from Portsmouth, Poole, St Malo or other destinations on the Normandy coast.
Why Ship to Guernsey?
SendMyBag can ship your luggage to Guernsey to help get your vacation off to a good start. By having your luggage ready and waiting at your hotel or Bed &Breakfast accommodation, you can enjoy the journey to Guernsey without dragging luggage behind you. You can also ship cumbersome sports equipment to allow you to enjoy the many outdoor activities Guernsey has to offer. This will allow you to pay only for your plane ticket and thus avoid airline luggage fees, or indeed excess or oversized baggage fees. As small planes tend to fly to Guernsey, your journey will be much more comfortable without having to lug suitcases around.
Important Guernsey Customs Information
General Customs Information
Most countries offer a generous duty free allowance for personal effects and the majority of Send My Bag™ shipments worldwide will not be stopped by customs.
Personal effects are usually assessed as used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is checked by customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts please check with the destination country so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
Customs processes and allowances do vary by country and as such we advise all travellers take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of the destination.
When a bag is stopped by customs for any reason (missing documentation, prohibited contents, commercial contents or further information required) Send My Bag™ records how long customs hold it for. Our historical statistics for this route indicate that if the customs authority stops your bag they will on average take 1 days to process it and release it back to us for delivery.
More information is available in on our customs information page.
In order to demonstrate your shipment is personal effects you will be required to complete a brief non generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "5 x Cotton T-Shirts, 2 x Jeans, 3 x Cotton Shirt" and so on rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
What can I send to Guernsey? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a holiday suitcase however for security and customs reasons certain items are prohibited.
On all US domestic services you may send:
- Shower gel.
- Other non flammable and non alcohol based liquids, pastes & gels for use on holiday.
Nail varnish, perfume and aerosols are not permitted. If these items are included in your luggage it may be returned to you.
Whilst non alcohol based liquids are permitted, damage caused by leakage is not covered by complimentary cover and therefore only small amounts should be sent. If an x-ray shows liquids of any type security may stop your bag for inspection.
The following items are prohibited at all times:
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Alcohol based or flammable Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type including but not limited to nail varnish and perfume;*
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than 1 device containing a battery in line with our battery policy;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.