Baggage Shipping to Jersey
Jersey is one of the Channel Islands, lying in the Bay of Mont St Michel off the coast of France. It is the largest of the Channel Islands but only measures 10 miles across and six miles from top to bottom. Although a dependency of the British Crown (but not part of the UK), Jersey lies much closer to France, at only 14 miles away.
English is the main language spoken on Jersey, although French influences can be seen in several place names. The island also has its own language, Jèrriais, although the number of people who speak this as their mother tongue is dwindling.
Jersey enjoys a mild climate with an average minimum temperature in winter of 42°F and an average maximum temperature in summer of 62°F.
There is much to enjoy on the islands, both in the countryside and in Jersey’s towns. You can explore the whole island by car using the extensive road network, or by foot, bike or horse on the ‘Green Lanes’ where cars may only travel at max. 15 mph.
Scenery to be enjoyed includes fantastic rugged beaches, sandy beaches, cliffs, vistas out to sea and luscious fields inland.
There are also several tourist attractions, including Durrell Wildlife Park, the Jersey World War II Tunnels, Mont Orgueil Castle, and Elizabeth Castle.
In the main town of St Helier, there are plenty of shops to look explore, both high street stores and independents. Sterling is the currency of Jersey, so no need to change money if traveling on from the UK.
Why Ship to Jersey?
As Jersey is a great vacation destination for outdoor activities, you can use SendMyBag to ship your luggage to your hotel, including cumbersome sports equipment, such as hiking gear and bikes. This will allow you to pay only for your plane ticket and thus avoid airline luggage fees, or indeed excess or oversized baggage fees. As small planes tend to fly to Jersey, your journey will be much more comfortable without having to lug around suitcases.
Important Jersey Customs Information
General Customs Information
Most countries offer a generous duty free allowance for personal effects and the majority of Send My Bag™ shipments worldwide will not be stopped by customs.
Personal effects are usually assessed as used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is checked by customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts please check with the destination country so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
Customs processes and allowances do vary by country and as such we advise all travellers take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of the destination.
More information is available on our customs information page.
In order to demonstrate your shipment is personal effects you will be required to complete a brief non generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "5 x Cotton T-Shirts, 2 x Jeans, 3 x Cotton Shirt" and so on rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
What can I send to Jersey? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a holiday suitcase however for security and customs reasons certain items are prohibited.
On all US domestic services you may send:
- Shower gel.
- Other non flammable and non alcohol based liquids, pastes & gels for use on holiday.
Flammable liquids such as nail varnish, perfume, aftershave, liquid deodorant and aerosols are not permitted. If these items are included in your luggage it may be returned to you.
Whilst non alcohol based liquids are permitted, damage caused by leakage is not covered by complimentary cover and therefore only small amounts should be sent. If an x-ray shows liquids of any type security may stop your bag for inspection.
The following items are prohibited at all times:
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Alcohol based or flammable Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type including but not limited to nail varnish, perfume & aftershave;
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than ONE device containing a lithium battery in line with our battery policy OR when shipping to / from Australia or China, NO device containing any type of battery;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Tobacco and all vaping products (whether nicotine based or not);
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.