Luggage Shipping to Kenya
Moving to Kenya or going on an extended trip? Then Send My Bag can help by shipping your possessions to Kenya, allowing you to bring with you much more than you could ever manage on public transport.
Important Kenya Customs Information
General Customs Information when shipping to Kenya
As most countries offer a generous duty free allowance for personal effects, the majority of Send My Bag shipments worldwide will not be intercepted by customs.
Personal effects are usually considered to be used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is stopped by Kenyan customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items, your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts please check with Kenyan customs so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
Customs processes and allowances do vary by country and, therefore, we advise all travellers to take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of the destination.
When a bag is stopped by customs for any reason (missing documentation, prohibited contents, commercial contents or further information required) Send My Bag™ records how long customs hold it for. Our historical statistics for this route indicate that if the customs authority stops your bag they will on average take 3 days to process it and release it back to us for delivery.
To find out more, check out our customs information page.
In order to demonstrate your shipment consists of personal effects, you will be required to complete a brief non generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "5 x Cotton Vests, 2 x Pairs of Shoes, 3 x Woollen Jumper" and so on rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
What can I send to Kenya? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a vacation suitcase. For security and customs reasons, however, certain items are prohibited. Please find these listed below.
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type (including nail varnish and perfume);
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than 1 device containing a battery in line with our battery policy;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations and toys of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.