Luggage Shipping to Malawi
Send your things to Malawi when moving abroad, moving back home or taking an extended trip.
Important Malawi Customs Information
General Customs Information
Given that most countries allow a significant number of personal effects to be shipped free of charge, the majority of Send My Bag shipments worldwide will not be stopped by customs,
Personal effects are considered to be used items that have been in the sender’s possession for at least 6 months. New items in their packaging will not necessarily be considered personal effects, even if you bought them for your own use.
If your bag is checked by Malawian customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items, you may need to pay customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts to Malawi, please check with Malawian customs so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
Customs processes and regulations are different depending on the country. We, therefore, advise all travellers to take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under Malawian customs regulations.
You can find out more at Send My Bag’s customs information page.
In order to demonstrate to customs that you are sending personal effects, you need to fill out a brief non-generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "2 x Pairs Training Shoes, 1 x Denim Jacket, 4 x Cotton Trousers", etc., rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
What can I send to Malawi? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a vacation suitcase. For security and customs reasons, however, certain items are prohibited. Please find these listed below.
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type (including nail varnish and perfume);
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than 1 device containing a battery in line with our battery policy;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations and toys of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.