Baggage Shipping to UK Highlands and Islands
Important UK (Highlands & Islands) Customs Information
Shipments of Personal Effects that are being returned to the UK after being outside of the EU (such as a Holiday), and shipments that will only be in the UK for a short period – typically under 12 months – before being exported again, are eligible for duty & tax free entry without any further information being supplied to Send My Bag.
If the shipment is entering the UK permanently and originated from a country outside of the EU, the consignee will need to apply for a “Transfer of Residence Relief” code from the UK customs agency (HMRC) using form ToR01. If the consignee is already in possession of these codes, this can be supplied to Send My Bag via your account which will Send My Bag to request duty free clearance at the point of entry into the UK.
If at the time of collection, no ToR code has been supplied, duties and taxes will need to be paid by the recipient upon delivery of the shipment. These can then be reclaimed for shipments of Personal Effects by completing the “C285 form” and submitting to HMRC for the relief to be applied retrospectively and any duty or taxed paid to be refunded.
For more information on the Transfer of Residence or C285 process, see our FAQ’s.
General Customs Information
Most countries offer a generous duty free allowance for personal effects and the majority of Send My Bag™ shipments worldwide will not be stopped by customs.
Personal effects are usually assessed as used items which have been in the sender's possession for 6 months or more. If your bag is checked by customs and is found to contain brand new or commercial items your shipment may be assessed for customs duties and taxes. If you are sending Christmas gifts please check with the destination country so you are aware of potential customs duties, follow their advice and attach all necessary documentation.
Customs processes and allowances do vary by country and as such we advise all travellers take 5 minutes to check how their personal circumstances and what they are sending will be assessed under the prevailing customs regulations of the destination.
When a bag is stopped by customs for any reason (missing documentation, prohibited contents, commercial contents or further information required) Send My Bag™ records how long customs hold it for. Our historical statistics for this route indicate that if the customs authority stops your bag they will on average take 1 days to process it and release it back to us for delivery.
More information is available on our customs information page.
In order to demonstrate your shipment is personal effects you will be required to complete a brief non generic packing list online, entries to be made in the format: "5 x Cotton T-Shirts, 2 x Jeans, 3 x Cotton Shirt" and so on rather than as "10 x Used Clothing".
What can I send to UK (Highlands & Islands)? What items are restricted?
With Send My Bag™ you can travel with almost everything you would normally find in a vacation suitcase. For security and customs reasons, however, certain items are prohibited. Please find these listed below.
- Aerosols or any other pressurised containers;
- Liquids, Pastes and Gels of any type (including nail varnish, perfume, aftershave & liquid deodorant);
- Toner Cartridges;
- Loose Batteries & Power Banks;
- No more than ONE device containing a lithium battery in line with our battery policy OR when shipping to / from Australia or China, NO device containing any type of battery;
- Animals and Animal products;
- Firearms and firearm parts, ammunition, explosives, weapons (including imitations and toys of same);
- Flowers and plant products;
- Human remains or ashes;
- Medical samples;
- Items that require a temperature controlled environment;
- Prescription drugs and pharmaceutical products;
- Tobacco and all vaping products (whether nicotine based or not);
- Religious Artefacts
- Foodstuffs, perishable, animal origin and controlled food articles and beverages including, but not limited to: Fruit & vegetables, dairy products (including dried products containing dairy such as protein powder), meat, fish, nuts, seeds, wine, beer, spirits and champagne; or
- Packages that are wet, leaking or emit an odour of any kind;
- Valuables and high value items including but not limited to antiques, paintings, jewellery, precious stones and electrical equipment (low value electrical equipment is permitted but sent at the owner's risk);
- Cash or other forms of tradeable currency;
- Credit cards;
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation;
- Irreplaceable items;
- Other Dangerous / hazardous goods;
- Counterfeit goods;
- Other illegal or restricted goods.
More information is available under section 11 of our terms of service.
In addition to the above when sending to UK (Highlands & Islands) we prohibit the sending of:
- All knives, axes, blades, razor blades (other than those permanently enclosed in a cartridge with less than 2mm of the blade exposed, e.g. disposable razors).
Items excluded from cover
The following items will be accepted but are sent at your risk and are not included under complimentary cover:
- Electrical Items, including but not limited to; Tablets, Cell Phones, Computers, Hi-Fis, TVs.
- Glass & Porcelain.
- Any other non standard excess baggage items.
If you choose to send any of the above please ensure you package the item appropriately, for example a TV inside a suitcase is not appropriate.
Please note the Channel Islands are not within the UK Highlands and Islands region, Jersey and Guernsey are listed separately in our quick quote.
Not all Postcodes have a daily service and therefore may lead to a variation in the estimated transit time quoted at the time of booking. For collections from the Isle of Scilly, it may be necessary to drop items to a designated point on the islands.
For information on sending your bag to the Highlands & Islands of the UK please visit our main UK destination page.