Why Moving to Spain is a Definite No-Brainer
Monday, 14 Nov 2016
You may be unsure whether moving to Spain is the right thing to do, since it seems that fewer and fewer people are deciding to do so these days. It also appears that many ex pats are heading back from Spain to their home countries. At Send My Bag, however, we believe that Spain still has plenty to offer those wanting to move abroad for a better life. We have put together the top ten reasons why moving to Spain is a brilliant idea.
You should also read our guide to moving abroad and our advice on buying a house abroad, or why not have a think about moving to Australia or the USA?
- The Weather. Especially to those with cold winters just ahead of us, the weather is clearly one of the most attractive reasons for moving to Spain. The southern coast typically enjoys around 320 days of sunshine a year, as well as a year-round mild climate.
- Al Fresco Lifestyle. Given Spain’s climate, a great deal of time can be spent outdoors, whether dining on the balcony, soaking up the sun at the beach or enjoying outdoor activities, such as swimming or cycling.
- Plant Life. Another benefit of the warm climate is that there are nearly always plants in bloom, making your outdoor space beautiful all year round. Plants to enjoy in Spain include bougainvillea, jasmine and cannas.
- Food and Drink. Spain has a rich food culture with numerous flavoursome dishes particular to the country, such as tortilla, pisto, paella and turrón.
- Variety. While expats may automatically think about relocating to the southern coast or islands of Spain, the country offers diverse landscapes for your enjoyment, from Mediterranean coasts, to alpine regions, deciduous forests, and volcanic islands.
- Cost of Living. Compared to many other European countries, Spain tends to have a lower cost of living. Purchases such as alcoholic beverages, many grocery items, petrol, and restaurant food are all cheaper in Spain than in somewhere like the UK.
- Healthcare. Spain’s healthcare system has been rated among the best in the world. In fact, the World Health Organization rated it 7th in the world in 2000. Hospitals are modern, well-equipped and staffed by skilled doctors.
- Good Transport Links. There are extensive air routes, railways, ports and roads in Spain that make the country an excellent base for travel around Europe and farther afield. Also, those wishing to move abroad to Spain should be able to return home whenever necessary with minimal hassle.
- Fiestas. Spanish people know how to party. They are very good at marking occasions, such as saints’ days and feast days, with community festivals. Some of the bigger events include Seville’s Semana Santa (Holy Week) and La Tomatina (Tomato Festival) in Valencia
- Siestas. While you may have to get used to businesses closing for a few hours in the afternoon, you will soon love the excuse to just stay at home and relax, and worry about running errands later.
If our reasons for moving to Spain have convinced you, remember that your luggage doesn’t have to be a hassle. You can send your luggage to Spain with Send My Bag so that you don’t need to worry about staying within your airline’s baggage limits.
Our Most Popular Articles
Top Ten Reasons to Move to Italy
Reasons to move to Italy are plentiful, especially when you consider the hard-hitting winters that much of northern Europe suffers each year. It makes moving to somewhere warmer seem like a pretty good idea. At Send My Bag, we have already extolled the virtues of living in Spain and France, but how about moving to Italy? Here are some reasons why you should make the dream a reality.
Advantages of Living in Portugal
Top Ten Reasons to Move to the UK
Reasons to move to the UK are plentiful. It's why, in 2015, well over half a million people moved to the UK from other countries. Maybe you are considering moving there yourself but need a little more convincing? Send My Bag has created a list of ten reasons to move to the UK, which might just persuade you to take the plunge.
Reasons to Move to Australia
Send My Bag explores the reasons to move to Australia, in a bid to explain why 189,700 people decided to move there in 2016-17. Currently over 28% of the population of Australia has been born overseas, with 5% being born in the UK. So what is it that makes Australia such an attractive destination for expats, and for Brits in particular? Why move to Australia?