UK Student Visa

Tuesday, 16 Aug 2016

UK Student Visa

Studying in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

If you are a foreign resident (not normally resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland) wishing to study in the UK, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 (General) student visa. To apply for this visa you must:

  • be a resident in a country outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland
  • have secured a place on a course of study at an eligible institution (a licensed Tier 4 sponsor)
  • be able to speak, write, read and understand English
  • be able to pay for your course of study, as well as living costs.

Once you have received an unconditional offer of a place on a course, the institution will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). You will need this number when applying for your visa.

How to Apply

You must apply online for a Tier 4 (general) visa, via the UK government website:

Further to your online application, you will need to attend a visa application centre, where you will be required to have your fingerprints and photograph taken. This is to facilitate the creation of your biometric residence permit, which you will need to collect within 10 days of your arrival in the UK. A list of application centres can be found here:

The time it takes to process your application is usually around 3 weeks, although this may vary according to your particular circumstances. You can check processing times here:

Rules You Must Follow

Once you have acquired your visa, you may arrive in the UK up to one week before your course begins, if your course lasts less than 6 months, or up to 1 month beforehand, if your course lasts longer than 6 months.

Note that students who are normally resident in the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not require a visa to study in the UK. This may change as a result of the UK leaving the EU so make sure you stay up to date on this issue.

Are you thinking of studying abroad in the USA? Check out our previous blog to find out what visa you need to study in the USA.

If you are planning to move to the UK to study, why not send your luggage with Send My Bag. This means you can quickly and easily set up home in the UK. Find out more about student shipping and claim your 10% student discount on our student removals page.

Get a Quick Quote