Advantages of Living in Portugal
Friday, 24 Mar 2017
Wondering why you should live in Portugal? Thinking of moving there but need a little more convincing? Or perhaps you are choosing your place in the sun and need some inspiration? Send My Bag is here to help with its top ten reasons to move to Portugal.
- The Quality of Life: Portugal is said to be one of the best countries for quality of life in the world, with climate, health care and safety all ranked highly.
- The Cost of Living: Most expats consider the cost of living to be lower in Portugal than in their home countries. This is most evident in terms of grocery shopping, eating in restaurants and rent prices.
- The Relaxed Pace of Life: Once you have gotten used to it, you will appreciate the limited opening hours at your local bank and the fact that some businesses close for a few hours each afternoon. This gives you a chance to escape the heat of a summer’s day, catch up on some housework or get together with friends.
- The Landscape: Being located on the Atlantic Coast, Portugal has some dramatic but stunning landscapes. Its western coastline has intriguing rock formations that soar out of the water below. Further inland there are mountain ranges such as Serra da Estrela and Serra de São Mamede, plus national parks and nature reserves. Sandy beaches on the south coast make popular destinations for sun-seekers, and then you have the volcanic islands of Madeira and the Azores.
- Unique Experiences: Portugal offers a number of opportunities that most other European countries do not. These include the possibility to swim with dolphins, at the Zoomarine Park in the Algarve, and surfing on probably the best waves in Europe.
- The Food and Drink: With such a long coastline, Portugal has a great selection of fish and seafood right on its doorstep. Its wines are not too shabby, either. Portugal has many native wine grapes in its vineyards and is home to the famous fortified wine known as port. You can enjoy some unique gastronomical delicacies in Portugal, such as pastéis de nata (a delicious custard tart), pastéis de bacalhau (cod fishcakes) and alheira de mirandela (a type of smoked sausage).
- The Towns: Living in Portugal means that you can set up home in one of its gorgeous characterful towns, villages or cities. Places like Évora and Guimarães are full of historic remnants, winding cobbled streets and colourful buildings, making them charming places to visit or wonderful places to call home.
- The Festivals: Portugal knows how to celebrate, with towns and cities across the country putting on street festivals for various occasions. These include the Santos festivals that mark Saints’ Days in June. The biggest festivals are found in Lisbon and Porto, where there is lots of eating, drinking and merrymaking in streets decorated in bright colours.
- The Golf: Living in Portugal is heaven for golfing enthusiasts. It is home to what are often described as the best courses in Europe or even the world! The top-rated courses include Monte Rei, Oitavos Dunes and Oceanico.
- The Weather: Portugal enjoys a mild climate all year round, with temperatures rarely dipping below 5°C in winter. Summers are hot and sunny, especially in the south, with an average July temperature in the Algarve of 24°C.
Moving all your possessions to Portugal couldn’t be easier with Send My Bag. Pack up your things securely in boxes or suitcases and book in your collection from your home or office. Your things will then be delivered to you in Portugal once you have arrived at your new home. Read our ‘How it Works’ page to find out more. We also have some helpful tips for buying a home abroad to keep you on the right track during your property search.
If you still aren't convinced as to why you should be living in Portugal, read our rundown of the best reasons to move to Spain and to move to Italy to see if these destinations are more appealing.
Our Most Popular Articles
Top Ten Reasons to Move to the UK
Reasons to move to the UK are plentiful. It's why, in 2015, well over half a million people moved to the UK from other countries. Maybe you are considering moving there yourself but need a little more convincing? Send My Bag has created a list of ten reasons to move to the UK, which might just persuade you to take the plunge.
Top Ten Reasons to Move to Italy
Reasons to move to Italy are plentiful, especially when you consider the hard-hitting winters that much of northern Europe suffers each year. It makes moving to somewhere warmer seem like a pretty good idea. At Send My Bag, we have already extolled the virtues of living in Spain and France, but how about moving to Italy? Here are some reasons why you should make the dream a reality.
Why Moving to Spain is a Definite No-Brainer
You may be unsure whether moving to Spain is the right thing to do, since it seems that fewer and fewer people are deciding to do so these days. It also appears that many ex pats are heading back from Spain to their home countries. At Send My Bag, however, we believe that Spain still has plenty to offer those wanting to move abroad for a better life. We have put together the top ten reasons why moving to Spain is a brilliant idea.
Reasons to Move to Australia
Send My Bag explores the reasons to move to Australia, in a bid to explain why 189,700 people decided to move there in 2016-17. Currently over 28% of the population of Australia has been born overseas, with 5% being born in the UK. So what is it that makes Australia such an attractive destination for expats, and for Brits in particular? Why move to Australia?